Re: [IP] lancet chages

Pat, we do that in the medical field not soley to prevent infection, and you have to realize that these nurses come in contact with many people in a days time, but also because of 2 health care entities, JCAHO, and OSHA that have contributed a great deal to the rise in health care costs, and yes i work in a level 1 trauma center, and when it comes right down to it, it's the man above that decides when it time, seat belt or not.  So all of us need just relax and take care of ourselves, have a good day......Scott

>>> email @ redacted 05/31/02 04:38PM >>>
Dear Corky,
Have you ever noticed that the nurse at your doctor's office always wipes off your finger with alcohol or betadine before she checks your blood sugar?  Do you know why she "wastes" the betadine on you?  Do you suppose that maybe she took a course in microbiology when she was in Nursing School, and learned that any bacteria on your skin could enter the wound she was about to give you with a lancet and cause an infection....  Do you think if your surgeon had to cut through your skin to remove your appendix that he wouldn't have the area of your waist completely swabbed down with betadine before he started?  You are really looking for trouble big time when you flaunt your success of not getting an infection.   When I bought my first car in 1950, it didn't have seat belts.  Now, I won't drive a car unless it has air bags.  Would you want to drive a car without air bags, much less seat belts, today?  Think about it.  Pat