Re: [IP] ABC transcript from broadcast...May 29 Can diabetes betransplanted away?

ok here is the real issue that you should consider when looking at a transplant, it does stop the shots and the developement of further damage, but you also become very immuno-comprimised, which makes you much more suseptable to infections which in turn can cause rejection of the transplanted organ.  Also you have to take those nasty antirejection meds, which for some are just as bad as being a diabetic with bad control, however some people have no problem with them, transplants now days are very successful, we do them all the time in the unit i work.  So ultimately the decision is up to you, good luck and if your close to KC i would suggest our hospital for a good transplant we are on a national registry, and you just might have a fellow diabetic as your nurse.........Scott

>>> email @ redacted 05/31/02 10:48AM >>>
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/living/DailyNews/islet_cells020528.html

A simple transplant procedure may free Judy Guggenheim from serious
complications from diabetes. Experts say that there are limits and risks
that prevent this treatment from going mainstream. (ABCNEWS.com)  No More
Shots?
Transplants for Diabetes Hold Promise, Face Limitations

By Melinda T. Willis