[IP] New Precision Glucose Meter

       I know it's just a "variation" on a theme, but some of you may be
interested in yet another glucose meter offering. The Precision Xtra meter (
the one that measures ketones in the blood using the 4 available ketone
strips that come with each box of glucose meter strips) is now available
with: TA DA (drum roll):
        Lighting Features!
       Ok - I admit it - I thought it was "way cool" when I played with it at
the ADA conference in Philadelphia this past week.  3 luminous features
include a) a backlit display to see results in low light  b) a spotlight
indicating exactly where to place the blood drop, which can go either on the
side or on top of the strip and c) (really cool)- it GLOWS in the DARK for up
to 8 hours after being exposed to light for 15 minutes.....
       No - it's not as small or as fast as the Freestyle or the Ultra, but
it's yet another option, in the ever-increasing list of glucose meters on the
market.....and as one who's fumbled in the dark many a night in search of my
daughter's meter or watched her use her pump backlight in a dark movie
theater to see what her meter was reading, these new features certainly
piqued my interest. It also shows the date & time on the screen unlike her
current Precision meter, and can store 450 results downloadable with the
requisite software. One drawback though is that unlike the basic Precision
which folds up very flat like a wallet (and is the prime reason why Melissa
prefers this one to the 5 others she probably has in her room), the
capability to measure ketones required a "fatter" design, and thus a larger
case. I made sure that each manufacturer's meter "rep" heard my "pitch" for
smaller case designs.
        Since mom won't be there in the fall when Melissa goes off to
college, I'm planning on purchasing one of these as soon as they appear on
the market in the next few months......one way to ward off the "gee I
couldn't test myself because I couldn't find my meter in my messy dorm room"
syndrome hopefully!! For the record, this is simply dissemination of new
information for my diabetes cyber-circle - NOT a product endorsement.
Regards, Renee (melissa's pump-mom)