Re: [IP] Animas Pumpers: Filling a Reg. Syringe from the Cartridge???

My daughter (12) has been pumping with an Animas pump since December and we've
never needed to use a syringe since that time. Why would you need to cary
insulin?

If we are more than an hour from home we do carry an insulin pen, extra
batteries, and an extra infusion set. Of course, we always have her meter,
smarties, and glucagon even if we are even a short distance from home.

The only time we have used the extra insulin (in a pen) is our all-day beach
trip. It worked very well. With the extra exercise of being in the water, she
didn't even need her basal. She checked glucose levels every 2-3 hours and
bolused when she ate. An hour after getting home, she was 110.

We don't ever change the cartridge until it gives us the low insulin alarm.
Usually that is about the same time she need to change her infusion set (every
3-4 days). Trying to draw insulin out with a syringe sounds like a lot of
unnecessary trouble.

Kay