Re: [IP] Convincing a CDE

At 12:29 PM 6/29/01 -0600, you wrote:
 >I think I need "proof" for the CDE as to
 >why it is okay to put a 6 year old on the pump with only 12-14 units of
 >insulin a day.  yes they are made to give smaller doses, but she said
 >that air can get in the tubing with smaller doses, etc...

I think your CDE needs to give you proof of why it is NOT alright to put a
6 year old who's using 12-14 units of insulin a day on the pump.  Does she
have any evidence to support her position?  Has she shared it with you?  If
not, then why is she asking you for proof to support your choice?  Don't
let yourself be put in a defensive position for no reason.

Air can get in the tubing with any dosage.  It's an easy thing to spot and
correct for.  Even easier to prevent if you've had any experience drawing
up syringes.  This shouldn't be an issue.

Unless there are other reasons for her reluctance, I don't think this CDE
has a leg to stand on.  Oh, and by the way, does the pump need to be
approved by any old CDE or THIS PARTICULAR CDE?  (just an idea)

On the other hand, if you don't want to go through the political hassle and
possibility of  losing this endo's support then forget it for a few
months.  Once your daughter's taking 15 units a day there should be no
issue, right?  (I'd advise you to get this in writing.)