Re: RE: [IP] Virus/Diabetes Link?

In a message dated 6/29/01 12:18:29 PM, email @ redacted writes:

<<   (from Pixie) Does anyone have any info on the connection or causal

> relationship between

> DM and viral infections?

I doubt that there is any.  There are some statistical associations between

onset of type 1 diabetes and Coxsackievirus and maybe a few others, but it

takes a great deal more to demonstrate a causal relationship.  >>

Jim, do you know anything about diabetes and the rubella epidemic back in the
60's?  I had recently read someone talking about that rubella syndrome
diabetes no longer occurring since vaccinations, but couldn't find it just
now when searching for it.  I had been aware of it because my sister was a
professor at Gallaudet University for the Deaf (she was deaf from Cogan's
Syndrome, another autoimmune disease), and for a few years in the 80s they
opened up an additional campus to accommodate all the deaf rubella "babies"
who had reached college age.  A noticeably high proportion of those students
were also diabetic.  Do you know if CDC ever studied that group?

I left my work in biochemistry in the early 80s because of my diabetes
complications, so I certainly am no expert on current thinking, but I wasn't
aware that the idea of viruses being one trigger to the immune system's
attack on islet cells in type 1 had been discarded.  Certainly not THE cause,
but a connection, certainly.

And, of course, the stress of a virus can be what brings on the overt
symptoms of the incipient diabetic, of either type.

Linda Z