RE: [IP] Re: diabetes cure in mice

At 09:35 AM 6/29/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:
> > I assure you the medical industry will put a stop to this
> > cure, as it would
> > dampen the medical industries profits, including companies
> > such as Mini med,
> > etc.
>And Jim Handsfield of mailto:email @ redacted wrote:
>Since they have little or no control over such research, how do you
>think the medical industry will accomplish this?
>Which pharmaceutical has been slipping cash into your gov't pocket??
>Just asking...

Whoa! This attack on Mr. Handsfield is not appropriate or appreciated.

Furthermore, I think this ongoing thread - that the medical industry is
actively working to keep us sick and prevent a cure for diabetes being
found is ridiculous, unfounded and poorly considered.

An absence of progress is in no way an indicator of malice. Furthermore, I
do not believe that the drug companies and medical devices industry
necessarily have anymore obligation to work on any particular aspect of
this problem than any other successful organization does. Their first
obligation is to remain active and  viable (i.e. profitable) and in doing
so they generate taxes, and jobs, and expertise and knowledge which allows
the rest of society (primarily through our governments) to pursue other
approaches and priorities if we choose to. That  is the system that  we
have chosen to follow.

This is my personal opinion only.