[IP] Virus connection

 snip>>>Virus/Diabetes Link?
Does anyone have any info on the connection or causal
relationship between
DM and viral infections?
Pixie <<<snip

Hi Pix:
I don't think there is any proven scientific connection.  All I know is
that I am never sick, got a vicious viral sinus infection, put me in
my bed for the first time in 8-9 years.   Six weeks later I was in the
emergency room w/ bg of 1205 and diagnosis of DKA.

I also know a lot of people on this list have stated that they came
down with a viral infection and then "got" DM.   Maybe the diabetes
gene needed the right combination of events to eat my little islets
that make energy.   Or maybe I caught a diabetes virus...no other
known person in my family had it.

HOWEVER, four years after I was diagnosed, my dad was
diagnosed with Type 2 at age 75.   I suspect the gene or
predisposition to have insulin problems was in both of us.  Who