Re: [IP] thyroid problems??

Thyroid problems are extremely common in diabetics, especially type 1.
Hypothroidism related to diabetes can sometimes be referred to as autoimmune
hypothyroiditis and is believed to be caused by the origin of the islet
tissue and thyroid tissue (also adrenal and intestinal villi).  These tissues
all form from the same parent tissue during fetal development and so cross
over antibody reactions can be common causing diabetes, hypothyroidism,
Addison's disease and Celiac sprue.  There was an interesting article in
Diabetes Forecast several years ago about all of these common autoimmune
disease, and the probability of more then one occurring in the same

As for thyroid supplement pills, I have taken them since 1992.  The biggest
thing I have found about them is the fact that normal lab results can occur
(for me) on different doses of medicine.  It took a lot of convincing and
visits to the doctor before he would believe that the low dose I was on
wasn't enough to relieve all of my symptoms.  Once that got straightened out
things went well.  I also stayed on the same dose throughout my pregnancy.