[IP] Elevated HbA1c in non-diabetic

I have a question.  My dad who isn't diabetic just got some lab results back
and they said his HbA1C (was taken non-fasting) came back slightly elevated
at 6.4 (normal 4-6) his non-fasting bloodsugar was 100.

The doctor said he would recheck it in 3 months because he was concerned
about diabetes.  I didn't even know they checked HbA1C's in non-diabetics.
Does this sound like something to worry about?  Diabetes is prevalent on his
side of the family (my sister and I both have it too).

Please let me know what you would advise.

Thank You,  Linda