Re: [IP] Convincing a CDE

>you could
>share with them the concept that the constant flow of basal insulin from a
>pump ( and the more stable BGs that come with it) seems to give more relief
>to a pancreas than injections do and that there is a fair amount of anecdotal
>evidence that this can result in a substantial extension of the time period
>where your daughter would retain the ability to produce at least some of her
>own insulin (a very good thing).

We can see this happening right now with Carey (hubby was just dx'd in Dec).
He has been on the pump for over a month. We noticed on shots that the better
his BG control, then when he "messed up" (for lack of a better term, sorry)
took a shot too late, etc. that his pancreas would "kick in" when he got a
little high and would help him out some. The more highs he had though, the
less likely it was to do this.

With the pump, we have noticed this even more. About a week or two ago Carey
went to the gym and didn't cut his pump back on...had it set to another basal
rate set to zero....so there was no warning that it was in stop mode or
anything. He went all night long with his pump switched to a zero basal rate
until the next morning. His normal basal rate during this period is set to .9
units/hour. In the morning (after sleeping late) he discovered it. Tested and
he was only 180!! Granted, he couldn't do this on a regular basis (even on the
next night), but it helps him in a pinch. It will never kick in enough to
cover meals, (it would never work fast enough or put out enough) but helps in
situations like that. Hopefully the pump will help preserve some residual beta
cells...I have heard that is possible. Especially more likely since he was
diagnosed late in life (42).

Also, we heard from his endo that being in his honeymoon was causing him to
have more lows...that his pancreas would kick in sporadically. We don't find
this to be true at all. His pancreas doesn't "kick-in" on top of the insulin
if he has normal blood sugars. It doesn't result in him having lows. The lows
his endo referred to were every day 2 hours after his morning shot! The
Humalog mix 75/25 he was taking contained way too much humalog (25%) for him.
In addition, his carb to insulin ratio in the morning (1:22) is way different
than the rest of the day (1:15). He needs a lot less insulin to cover his

If they are worried about your child randomly pushing buttons on the pump, I
believe the MM has a child-lock feature, doesn't it?