[IP] Bent Needle

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 22:16:43 -0700 (PDT), catherine popper
<email @ redacted> wrote:

>I know I've asked this before, but is there anyone out
>there actually using the bent needle regularly?
>Everyone who used it seems to be using the newer sets

I started pumping in July 1995 with a 506 and upgraded to a 508 in
Sept 2000. I have never used anything but bent needles. I put them in
the space above and to the sides of the navel. I keep seeing posts
from people who say they are using various newer cannula infusion sets
and it seems like lots of them are complaining about the cannulas
becoming bent, interfering with delivery of insulin. Well, with bent
needles you don't have to worry about anything bending.

My theory is that the plastic cannula devices were invented to meet
the needs of the relatively few pumpers who were allergic to, or
afraid of, the metal in the bent needles. Then those pump trainers who
aren't pumpers themselves decided that cannulas must be more
comfortable than needles, so they started pushing them to ALL new
pumpers. The suppliers of infusion sets didn't have any problem with
this because the plastic cannula devices are more complex and more

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000