[IP] Not sure what to call this

I hope someone can help me with this.  Last Thursday night, my set crimped
and I did not wake up until I was 553 , had large ketones and throwing up.  I
was lucky to not have to go to the ER.  I am at school for the summer and my
docs guy on call  was great   Anyway, it took several days to get my sugar to
come down and I am still having random highs.  Is this normal?  This was very
scary for me.  I have not had a sugar that high since being on the pump
almost 5 years.  It was a learning experience.  Any help I can get on this
topic would be great.  Thanks in advance