RE: [IP] Contact lens measures glucose

Sara Johnson (Volt) [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> Well, obviously the part about not having cells in my pancreas to make
> insulin.
> If I were overweight and Type II (and I'm sure this would not help all
> Type IIs) I would certainly change my lifestyle first.

Have you been following any of the studies transplanting islet cells?  It
looks promising.  Here are three citations of recent publications:

1 Shapiro AMJ, Lakey JRT, Ryan EA, Korbutt GS, Toth E, Warnock GL, Kneteman
NM, Rajotte RV: Islet transplantation in seven patients with type 1 diabetes
mellitus using a glucocorticoid-free immunosuppressive regimen. N Engl J Med
343:230-38, 2000.

2 Robertson RP, Davis C, Larsen J, Stratta R, Sutherland DER: Pancreas and
islet transplantation for patients with diabetes (Technical Review).
Diabetes Care 23:112-16, 2000.

3 Halvorson T, Beattie GM, Lopez A, Itkin-Ansari P, Loy M, Hayek A, Levine
F: In vivo glucose-responsive insulin secretion from a human pancreatic
[beta]-cell line. Diabetes 49 (Suppl. 1):A32, 2000.

Most hospital libraries will carry these journals, and you should be able to
look them up.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR