RE: [IP] Contact lens measures glucose

Sara Johnson (Volt) [mailto:email @ redacted] wrote:

> I agree.  I thought the same thing when I read this article -- if all
> these folks combined their efforts from creating more "diabetes
> products" into a cure, then we would surely have had one
> years ago.  But
> where's the profit in that?

The only problem is that diabetes is not one disease, but several diseases
with common symptoms.  Which would you cure first?

Research toward treatments and cures is not driven by pharmaceutical or
insurance companies.  The vast majority of research is academic, mostly
funded by the National Institutes of Health and a few private funding
agencies (Robert Wood Johnson Foundation and JDF, to name two).  While
pharmaceutical companies might stand to lose money if (when!) there is a
cure, they don't drive the research.

Jim Handsfield
email @ redacted OR