Re: [IP] Heredity increasing odds of DM

I'm asking for my new son.  Now I hear that not breastfeeding for at least 4
months leads to increased chances of diabetes.

Sherry-
I had a similar situation with my little girl.  I breast fed for about 3
weeks when she broke out in a severe rash and I had to put on her
formula(which cleared the rash right up).  They told me that breast feeding
for 6 months would build up the babies immune system and help to protect her
against aquiring Diabetes.  I don't believe that not breast feeding him will
increase his chances in anyway.

Lets just take a look at you and I.  I come from a family that has NO type 1
diabetics that anyone can track back.  Only type 2's and there are 3 of
those.  So, why did I get it???   I honestly don't beleive that anyone can
answer this question for everyone.  I think that just like this complicated
disease, there are no answers true to all.  Sometimes there are no answers
true from one to the next.  I think that you have to believe that your son
has benefited from the small amount of time you could breast feed him.  Just
like us, his fate will be what it will be.  I suppose this is ONLY MY
OPINION, but I feel that you can't worry about it because you can't change
it.  I wish you the best!

Laurie Davis
27 y.o. DX 12-23-91
Disetronic 04-96

  Also, I've heard about vaccines
babies get increasing the chances.  Does anyone know what the baby's chances
are?

Sherry C