Re: [IP] Re: antibody testing in relatives

Yes, my family has a LONG history of antibody testing dating back to 1983
when my younger sibling was picked up with antibodies and did eventually
develop diabetes---though never symptomatically because my mom refused to
give her "false hope" that she wasn't going to develop full blown diabetes
after showing impaired IV glucose tolerance and diminished insulin levels.
At any rate, I feel so strongly that catching diabetes early is the one of
the best ways to help prevent complications later on that I have routinely
had both of my children tested.  My son began the testing back in 1992 when
he was 2 and my daughter started at 9months.  Both of them have also been
genetically HLA typed for the diabetes markers that may or may not be present
on their white blood cells.  That information, while not a guarantee, has
allowed me to rest more easily (especially when potty training dd who seems
obsessed with using the porcelin facilities).

As an aside, my kids are also enrolled in a study called DAISY which stands
for Diabetes AutoImmunity Study in the Young.  This study tracks their
antibody production (including some antibodies that aren't in the traditional
ICA antibody detection), and also exposure to different foods, allergies,
dietary habits and many other questionable triggers for diabetes.  If either
child develops  ICA antibodies they can be enrolled in the Diabetes
Prevention Trial.