Re: [IP] temporary basals and exercising

In a message dated 6/22/2001 4:59:20 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I didn't realize that I should be setting my temp basals 1 - 2 hours before
>  working out.  <snip>
>  So, if I'm going to work out for 30 minutes, when should I set the temp
>  basal?  Should I continue to reduce it by half for the time before and
>  during my workout?

Temp Basals and exercise is very much an individual thing (YMMV, as they
say).  With my daughter, except for swimming -- where the heat exchange
factor is also in play, we start the temp basal for any exercise period less
than an hour in duration right when the exercise starts.  For swimming and
for longer periods of exercise, we start the temp basal about a half hour
before and end it about a half hour after she's done.  In both cases we use
-50% for the temp basal reduction . . . This is what works for us . . .
Everybody's different and you really need to experiment for yourself . . .
Good luck!