Re: [IP] BCBS/Divorce

In a message dated 6/22/2001 6:14:25 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Anyways I have medicare now as my secondary insurance my
>  husbands BCBS covers my prescriptions and pump supplies.  I'm assuming that
>  he will not be required to keep me on his BCBS-especially in the event that
>  he remarries-my disability is certainly not enough to cover pump supplies.

I know that under COBRA laws, divorce is a qualifying event which lets you
sign up for continuing coverage for a certain period (either 18 months or 3
years after the date the divorce is finalized -- I *think* divorice qualifies
for the longer period, but I'm a little rusty on this stuff).  Also, even
those limitations on extended coverage may not apply since you were diabled
prior to the divorce -- The best thing to do is to talk to the benefits
person at your soon-to-be-ex-husband's employer . . . Good luck to you!