Re: [IP] Diabetes and wrist pain?

In a message dated 6/22/01 8:18:30 AM, email @ redacted writes:

<< About 3 years ago, I had terrible problems with my wrists. Sharp jolts of
pain would shoot through them and cause me to drop whatever I might have
been holding. <snip> They ruled out carpal tunnel,
I had nerve and muscle tests done, and even had and MRI. >>

Heather, I had similar problems a number of years ago, and the surgeon
diagnosed it as DeQuervain's Tenosynovitis, which is another problem like
carpal tunnel and trigger finger where there is swelling and not enough room.
 Wrist splints that kept the wrists in a normal position did help, but the
left wrist (and I am right-handed, and never did figure out any overuse kind
of cause -- it was before I had a computer) did need to be operated on
finally.  If the doctor knows what he is looking for, it is very easy to
diagnose by manipulation of the wrist.  My surgeon thought it probably was
diabetes-related, although I don't know that I have ever seen that elsewhere,
but it is my impression that the mechanism is similar to other diabetic joint

Linda Z