Re: [IP] Insulim pumps

In a message dated 6/21/2001 4:03:36 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> I am trying to decide which pump is preferrable for my 13 year old daughter,
>  minimed, disetronic, or animas.  What do you like/dislike about your pump?
> Is
>  anyone using the animas?

My daughter Katie (age 10 -- but VERY pre-teen!) has been pumping with an
Animas pump (named "Elvis") sine June 1st . . . She loves it!  You'll be able
to enjoy the benefits of pumping no matter which pump you end up choosing but
to help you make the choice that's right for you, here's a list of some of
the things we like about the Animas pump (in no particular order):

1.  It's waterproof  -- So while you CAN disconnect when you choose to, you
don't HAVE to -- for things like swimming, showers, snorkeling, etc. -- which
means you have the best opportunity to take advantage of the benefits of
precise insulin dosing that are available on the pump.  So far my daughter
has not needed to disconnect for any of her summer activities -- which also
keeps things simple as far as not having to worry about finding a safe place
to put the pump (i.e. so it doesn't get stolen, lost, or have the insulin
fried in the sun).

2.  It's very easy to use -- You just pick from choices off the menu on the
pump's screen that are in plain English (or Spanish -- if you prefer <g!>).
You don't have to memorize anything or go check a manual because it's pretty
easy to just read the options on the screen to figure out how to get the pump
to do anything you want it to do.  Katie mastered her pump operation very
quickly and easily -- even things like setting a temporary basal reduction
for when she's going to exercise (dance, swimming, etc.), checking her bolus
history, etc. that you don't do as often.

3.  It's the "best looking" pump (in my daughter's opinion) -- It's small and
looks like a pager and there are something like 15 different colors of
"fashion" pump covers to match your outfit or your mood (these snap on and
off very easily, and also provide a little extra protection for the pump by
making the buttons and screen slightly recessed -- though I doubt it needs
it, this pump has a very tough casing!).  Unlike the Minimed pump (which is
also small and looks like a pager), you don't need to keep it in a leather
case all the time to protect it from static discharge (a common thing here in
dry ol' Colorado).The aethetics of a pump probably don't matter to a lot of
pumpers, but it matters to Katie!

4.  The "mechanics" are easy, too -- Filling the insulin cartridges is about
like filling a (big) insuling syringe (and we haven't had any problems with
air bubbles and such).  Changing the batteries are easy, too -- and we like
that you can use a regular kind of battery that you can buy at lots of places
(Walmart, Target, pharmacies) in case you're away from home when your battery
needs replacing and forgot to bring a spare set.  We pre-fill about 2-3
cartridges at a time (which takes us about 10 minutes and gives each
cartridge about 6 days worth of insulin) -- and after three weeks (four if
you count the week she spend pumping saline), my daughter can do a complete
set and cartridge change in 6 minutes (I timed her -- even tho' she didn't
know I was doing so and she wasn't in any hurry).

5.  "Cool" technology -- My husband is the techno-wizard in the house and he
could tell you more details about how the Animas does what it does and why
those are "better"  but that's something you should research for yourself  if
you're into that kind of thing . . .

6.  Lots of great features -- some of which we use a lot already, others that
we're more likely to use more later (like audio boluses and extended
boluses).  Some of the features  that matter to me in terms of maintaining
good control and maximizing quality of life for all of us include: the
frequent basal delivery (every 3 minutes), the precise dosing (.05 units per
hour increments for basals and .1 unit increments for boluses), that it does
a thousand safety checks a minute (hence the "1000" in it's name),   the
temporary basals by percentage +/- (we use that A LOT for exercise time), the
most sensitive occlusion detection system (to help you avoid DKA from
non-delivery of insulin), multiple basal programs (up to 4 different basal
programs can be set up, each with up to 12 different basal rates -- we have
our basic profile in good shape and are getting ready to set up #2 for PM
hormone cycles and #3 for them to adjust down while she's at camp), and a lot
of memory that is easy to access (last 255 boluses, alarms, and days of total
& basal insulin).

7.  Great Customer Service -- before and after the "sale" . . . Everyone
we've dealt with at Animas has been very helpful, knowledgeable, and just
plain nice.  We like that many of the Animas folks we've dealt with are
pumpers themselves, too.

Happy Pumping!