[IP] Cabohydrates, Proteins, and Fats

I would like to offer my professional knowledge concerning proteins, fats,
and carbs.  I'm a Registered Dietitian and I'm also on the insulin pump,
specifically Disetronics.  I love this site.  It helps me not only personally
but also professionally.  All food is made up of 1 of 3 things, proteins,
fats, and carbohydrates.  Specifically, carbohydrates are what cause blood
glucose levels to rise.  Protein and fat play a role in that, when
carbohydrates are eaten alone, they are digested and absorbed rather quickly.
 When eaten with protein or fat, as with the nachos, they don't empty from
the stomach as quickly, and take longer to be released into the blood stream.
 What this means for you is, it will cause a delay in your blood glucose
level rising.  Proteins are not carbohydrates (complex or simple).  Because
nachos and cheese contain not only protein but also quite a bit of fat, the
carbohydrates will not actually reach the blood stream as quickly as if you
would eat a carbohydrate eaten alone.  I hope this helps.

Dawn, MS, RD, LD
Type I since 90, pumper 3 years.