Re: [IP] Nothing but the truth

While I don't want to belittle the information contained in the original
message, I think this argument about the lack of availability of beef or pork
insulins as the cause of increased cases of hypoglycemia fails to take into
account a VERY important variable.  That variable is blood glucose testing.
I may be a bit off base here, but my understanding is that HBGM became
available in the early '80s and human insulins  became available somewhere
around the mid to later 1980's.  Also included in this argument is the fact
that as HBGM became more prevalent, people tested more frequently----4+ times
per day as opposed to the original recommendations of 1-2 times per day.
Naturally, HBGM became the window of information into control issues.
Arguing that it was the insulin that caused the increase in hypoglycemic
episodes is very suspect in my opinion.  More likely is the fact that HBGM,
available near the time of human insulins, caused more people to have the
knowledge and ability to achieve glycemic control by using insulin more
effectively.  And all of us who've been on MDI know that glycemic control can
be achieved but the risks of hypoglycemic episodes increase.

In a message dated 6/20/2001 10:16:52 AM Mountain Daylight Time,