Re: [IP] Don Imus and the Pump

 Here is a copy of my reply to the situation:

As an individual who has had type I diabetes for 33 years (currently age 38)
and also a wearer of an insulin pump, I am really offended at the remarks
made at this person's expense. Diabetes is no laughing matter, especially
when the insulin pump has finally allowed many diabetics to finally live a
more normal life, and the medical community is trying real hard to bring this
technology to more diabetics in order to improve their chances of avoiding
the major complications that this disease brings. This comment made by Mr.
Imus just may well be the first that a patient may hear about insulin pumps,
and what impression will that leave in their mind? When their doctor suggests
using an insulin pump, this is what will come to mind and they just may
dismiss the idea without really considering the TRUE picture of life on an
insulin pump and the advantages that it brings! Mr. Imus, are you prepared to
be responsible for someone not even trying an insulin pump and eventually
having to become an amputee, or blind, or on dialysis just because you
painted a horrible picture of the very device that could have helped prevent
these complications?

aka Mouse