[IP] Re: Pizza Problems

Ingrid wrote:
I just don't manage pizza....What's frustrating me, is
that square vave boluses or temp. basal rates
don't seem to help at all.

Pizza was always a problem for Luke on MDI - and it
still causes him some trouble on his pump.  The best
strategy we've found for him is to bolus for the first
2 slices right when he starts eating.  Then when we
get the final slice count (about 30 minutes after 1st
bolus), we do a dual wave with 1/2 "now" and the rest
on the square wave for 1-2 hrs.  If we think he's had
a lot of meat pizza, we add in another 0.5u or so to
the square wave dose.  It kind of gives him 3 doses
over a couple of hours that keeps it managed -
although it still needs some fine-tuning.

McDonald's "happy meals" are about the same for us
too. He loves them and we avoid them.

Shelly V., Austin, TX, mom to Luke, 6, pumping 3/5/01
MM508 + QuickSets

Do You Yahoo!?