[IP] Type 1 and ketones

    Actually you are wrong....there are a number of cases listed in the
literature where patients have presented in ERs with classic symptoms on new
onset diabetes (polyuria, polydipsia, polyphagia, etc) -- who were later
revealed to have no pancreatic B cell function (ie no detectable C protein --
the marker for insulin) -- and yet they did not display ketones as revealed by
standard laboratory evaluation.  This maybe partially be explained by the fact
that most labs only test for 2 forms of keto acid or it could just be another
variant of diabetes.
    Also, prior to going on the pump and especially in my teens, my HgBA1c
were frequently over 7.0 yet my ketone tests -- done both in the office and at
home -- revealed no ketones.

email @ redacted

"Yesterday is History; Tomorrow is a Mystery; Today is a Gift ...
That is why they called the Present!"