RE: [IP] Say what?

-----Original Message-----
From: email @ redacted [mailto:email @ redacted]On Behalf Of
Jennifer Sutherland
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2001 10:01 PM
To: Insulin Pumpers
Subject: [IP] Say what?

Lazar wrote:
<The Manif. is OK! No one can translate Calories into Carbs!>
--Carbs are 4 calories per gram and they can do this in a laboratory.
> Was not known to me this ratio.

<The books do that:  Calories / 8. That is NOT real number for most of the
food I know.>
--Please explain this "calories / 8."
I got this value from Pumping Insulin. Also, the same calculations I saw on
the site www.diabetesnet.com. See the example after calculating Calories
and then to Carbs. I was out when reading.

<I don't take cal. into account, but I don't eat then too...>
--In other words, you don't eat food. All foods have calories, so, you do
actually eat them.

Of course, but I don't count them like I do for Carbs.
For instance, I boluse myself 1 unit per 11 Carbs - nothing
taken into account (or including?) for calories. What is true?
Now, take the stake - Full of calories, but what about carbs?
One can easy enter Hypo if overboluse early, and later be HIGH
because the Calories transform into Carbs slow. So, you say:
Know the Calories and divide by 4? Or, see this so:
For fast carb food, take into account the Carbs (forget the calories)
and for slow carb food take into account the Cal / 4 and
be careful when bolusing....
I will check it by making Dual Wave bolus or temp basal rate.

<I prefer ice cream but NOT Pizza. Pizza is terrible slow Carb with
Low GI.>
--Many folks prefer the slower foods in order to prevent 'spikes' in their
BG levels. So is pasta and many vegetables.
I agree, but can you stay under 200 mg/dl 2 hours after the meal
(I want be less then 140 mg/dl as I do now). I want HBA1c less then 6
Thank you about your remarks. I see, that I must enter deeper and
not skip the Calories issue, I disregarded until now
Lazar

Jenny Sutherland
http://wyldcelt.homestead.com/index.html
http://wyldcelt.homestead.com/myfamily.html