[IP] HCFA is out some other acronym is in

Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 20:50:06 -0500
From: "J Hughey" <email @ redacted>
Subject: [IP] New Medicare and Medicaid Agency

Social Security eNews
Medicare Update
Published on June 15, 2001

To view this online, go to http://www.ssa.gov/enews/enewsmedicare61501.htm .

Welcome to a special Medicare edition of eNews.  Here's big news that's sure
to get the attention of anyone interested in Medicare.

It's out with the old and in with the new.  The Health Care Financing
Administration (HCFA) is now the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services
(CMS).  It's more than just a new name - it's an increased emphasis on
responsiveness to beneficiaries and providers, and quality improvement.

Health and Human Services Secretary Tommy G. Thompson made the announcement
yesterday.  "We're making quality service the number one priority in this
agency," Thompson said.  "These sweeping reforms will strengthen our
programs and enable our dedicated employees to better serve Medicare and
Medicaid beneficiaries, as well as health care providers.  We're going to
encourage innovation, better educate consumers about their options, and be
more responsive to the health care needs of Americans."

Three new business centers are being established as a part of the reform:
the Center for Beneficiary Choices, the Center for Medicare Management, and
the Center for Medicaid and State Operations.

The new CMS will launch a national media campaign to educate seniors and
other Medicare beneficiaries about their options, allowing them to make
better decisions.

The 1-800-MEDICAID number (1-800-633-4227) is being enhanced to provide
service to beneficiaries 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

"More changes are on the way," Secretary Thompson stated.  "We're going to
keep fine-tuning this department so Americans are receiving the highest
quality health care possible."

For all the details, visit our homepage!
what a load of crap. ask the doctors how responsive the agency is to anything
new or different. still can't use humulog in a pump if you are on medicare.
ask about the new privacy regulations, note to system implementers "leave
space in the data record for the new medical id number to be added later." ask
about the unique healthcare id number designed to track your medical records.
spot The leopard never did change his spots did he?