: [IP] DMers donating blood

> Subject: [IP] DMers donating blood
> and that the MCD can take up to 30 years to show up in your system.  This
> policy was in place for anyone who had taken any type of beef related
> product
> internally, not just Type 1's who had used beef based insulin. >>>
> So anyone who ever had a hamburger as long as 29 yrs ago is disqualified
> from
> donating blood, too?
> Jan
I love this Jan and it is a very good question!!
There were only a few years before the human insulin for me, and I am pretty
sure I used pork insulin most of the time if not all of the time.

Faith and ??
type 1 diagnosed 9-81
started pumping 8-21-2000
assimilated by the d-tron 03-07-01
Well, the American red cross says DMers can donate if pumping and under good
control (whatever that means) however no center will allow you to be an
apheresis donor (platelets, whitecells stem cells) as they are fearful of
infection. If you took animal insulins after Human became available, they wont
take your blood either. there is no test for CJD or Mad Cow Dz. These are not
viral infections but prion diseases. they don't produce antibodies in the host
animal. pig insulin isn't safe either, you could always get a swine virus
infection like mengo which was implicated in type 1 diabetes  spot