[IP] Medicare C-Peptide

This afternoon I discussed this topic with my endo. He informed me
that he sits on the board of AACE (American Assn of Clinical
Endocrinologists), and within the past month AACE has determined that
Medicare should change its criteria for identifying patients with Type
1 diabetes. My understanding is that the old criterion was a C-Peptide
of less than 0.5. (Mine was 0.6 in spite of the fact that onset
occurred at age 10 with severe DKA, and the fact that that was 58
years ago.) According to my endo, the new criterion is a C-Peptide
less than the lab normal for that test. He told me that the lab normal
for the particular lab that did my C-Peptide is 0.9. I'm expecting an
order of pump supplies on June 20, so it will be interesting to see
whether it got charged to Medicare, or to my credit card.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000