Re: [IP] Type 1 Diabetics Donating Blood

On 17 Jun 2001, at 22:59, chris parsons wrote:

> Dave Willey wrote:
> > Sharon,
> >
> > About three years ago there was a blood drive @
> > work.  I asked one of the nurses If I could donate.
> > Surprising she said yes I could as long as my BG
> > was under control.  COOL!  So I did.
> my one attempt at work red cross blood drive is that they did not
> accept disbetis.

I had been turned down for a number years and had given up.  Then
three years ago I started reading of people on the list giving blood.
Thanks to the help of some knowledgeable folks I contacted the
Medical Director for my local blood bank and convinced her that I
was not a threat as a donor as I no longer reused my syringes, I
didn't use syringes at all anymore.    ;>)

Keep trying, don't accept the stock answers.  We can donate!