re: [IP] Would you volunteer you are diabetic in a job interview?

I have been interviewing & hiring people for the last
10 years.  It is against the law in the U.S. to ask
someone their marital status, anything about sex,
about their weight, and about their health status
unless it is related to the job as these answers could
be used to discriminate against a potential employee.
If you disclose it, it's up to you.  I guess if you're
asked a question like "is there any reason why you
can't stay up a telephone pole all day long repairing
lines?" that maybe diabetes would be an issue.  But
for most jobs, especially in an office environment,
you should only need to tell those people close to you
after you have the job.

I've worked with a lady for about 7 years, and only
after my son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in
1999 did she let me know that she had it.  Before that
I had no need to know.

Good luck on your job interview!
Shelly V, Austin, TX, mom to Luke, 6, pumping 3/5/01

Shannon's msg:
Tomorrow I have a job interview and I plan to NOT
disclose my diabetes unless I am asked about my
health.  If I get the job then I will tell my
co-workers in case of an emergency situation.  What
have others on pumpers.org done in job interviews
I'm wondering?  And what were your reasons for telling
or not telling about your condition?
Thanks in advance,
email @ redacted

Do You Yahoo!?