Re: [IP] Would you volunteer you are diabetic in a job interview?

At 09:48 PM 6/15/01 -0400, you wrote:
>In a message dated 6/15/01 8:10:43 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
>email @ redacted writes:
><< Tomorrow I have a job
>  interview and I plan to NOT disclose my diabetes unless I am asked about my
>  health.   >>
>I believe it's kind of against the law for  a protential employer to ask you
>about your health. :-)
>Jan and Elvis

WAY against the law.  That's a lawsuit waiting to happen and an HR nightmare.

There is no reason for you to disclose anything about your health unless
it's directly related to your ability to perform the activities of the
position you've applied for.  It is not legal for them to _ask_ about your
health except as it relates to the activities of the position you've
applied for.  Nor can they ask about your marital status, whether you have
children, whether you plan to have children, your religion, your sexual
orientation, your hobbies, or anything else not specifically tied to job

Once you've gotten the job, then you can let your co-workers know that you
have diabetes and what to do in case you run into trouble.  It's very
important that they know this, but they don't need to know it until you've
been hired.