[IP] Re: value of test strips

In a message dated 6/15/01 12:49:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

 Case in point:  The FDA recently declared that Claritin can be sold over
 the counter, instead of with prescription.  The maker of Claritin fought
 this tooth and nail because they knew that if Claritin was over the
 counter, they'd have to price it similarly to the other allergy
 medications ($10/box instead of $70 for 30 tabs). >>

Claritin has been over the counter for years in Canada.  It is very cheap,
always being offered at 2 for the price of 1, etc.   It costs about 50
Canadian cents for a 24 hour dose, which is less than 35 cents US (I have 2
boxes of 18 each upstairs and just checked).
I was totally shocked when visiting the USA 3 years ago and seeing the price
of Claritin (it was in a news article talking about RX costs)!

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7