[IP] softset questions

When I first got my pump, I asked the rep to include some various types of
sets since I didn't know what would work best for me.  They gave me mostly
Comforts, but also included some SoftSet micros.  I started using the
Comforts (same as Sils or Tenders)  and left the softsets in the box.

A few weeks ago, I thought I would give them a try.  In the morning, I
used one in my thigh, without an inserter, and everything seemed ok.  BS
was fine before lunch, but a few hours later it was up around 300.  I
bolused a correction and checked 45 minutes later, 482!  That was highest
reading I have ever had! My eyes started getting real itchy.  I corrected
with a pen, started drinking LOTS of water, and checked the site.  It
looked ok from the outside, but under the tape the cannula was not in my
leg at all.  I had a spare Comfort at work to switch out, but I felt
crappy the rest of the day.

Anyway, I was completely turned off from the softsets, but am ready to try
again.  A member of our pumpers group had an extra softserter to donate,
but I am still concerned since during the insertion, everything looked
fine.  Any advice for making sure they are in?  Would I be better to stay
on the abdomen with these?  I kinda wanted to try them in my arm but it
looks like the extra tape would require more than one hand. Thanks for any
tips on using these things!!

--Tad Seyler