[IP] Re: insulin pumps in Ireland and Scotland

Hi Isabelle,
    We moved back to Canada last summer from Northern Ireland so that Claire
could get an insulin pump.  She would not have been able to get one in the UK
(cost too high, and no doctors putting kids on pumps).  However, there are
adults on pumps, but not in any great numbers, and you would have to search
out a knowledgeable doctor.  Also, if you have lived in the UK before you
know that all diabetic supplies are provided under the NHS.  However, only
certain things are approved (eg. certain brands of strips).  The paediatric
doctors in Belfast did have a discussion with me whether they could order
pump supplies through the hospital, if we did buy a pump on our own
somewhere. They were aware of pumps, but their view was that it probably
wouldn't improve a child's HA1c.  (Note Claire's HA1c has dropped from 10-11
on injections, to her first one of 8.1 on a pump).
    Your best bet for information, if no one here replies, is the pump
companies themselves.  They will be able to get you in touch with their sales
reps in Ireland and Scotland and you can pose the questions directly to them.
 Even if its a "just considering the possibilities" type question.

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7