Re: [IP] To pump or not to pump

In a message dated 6/14/01 3:32:12 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> When I talked to her about pumping she said the only advantage was not
> taking multiple shots daily.
> I thought that even speading out the twice a day 40 U might be of some help.
> Should I just give it up as a luxury or are there other benefits as well.

Hi Chris - a boo a hiss and 20 lashes with a wet noodle to this thick headed
doc of yours! LOTS of advantages to a pump - it functions more like anormal
pancreas - your basal rate keeps you level as your basic background insulin
and then you bolus for what you eat.  With what you previously posted you are
taking NO long acting insulin - so no wonder you are having wacky blood

When fine tuned you don't go high or low, you can eat more freely (and I
would think that would be good for your other health concerns). Talk to this
doc again - you will probably need to find a endo to get a pump - I see an
internist - but he has  a keen interest in diabetes and heart disease so was
cool to a pump - but I think he may be more of an exception.

So keep trying - pumps are GREAT~!

Linda & Dax