Re: [IP] Bent needle tips

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:45:06 -0700 (PDT) CM Ullom wrote:
>Does anyone one here have tips for how to use the bent needle set
>with out wings?

I have been using bent needles for almost six years. First I use IV
Prep on the site, then insert the needle just like a syringe needle so
the part after the bend is parallel to the surface of the skin. Then I
apply a strip of 1 inch Transpore tape (OTC at pharmacy-3M Nexcare
Clear). Then I make a loop in the tubing near the bent needle and
apply another strip of Transpore tape, and over that I put an IV 3000.
I was taught to use two IV 3000, but after a couple of years I decided
to experiment with just one and haven't had any problems since then. I
use a site for 2 or 3 days. FWIW I have never had any allergy problems
with these materials. Also my sites survive bike riding in Phoenix
throughout the summer with no problems. The QR makes showering easy.

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, 506 1995, 508 2000