[IP] Airports & pumping

Between work and the coaster thing, I seem to have flown quite a few times
since getting the pump...  ;-)

I just wear the pump in my Clip-N-Go.  I drop my keys, change, cellphone, and
wallet (which contains a spare set of keys) in the basket, and walk through.
I've only ever had a problem once, at Newark, where a guard spotted the pump
and asked me to remove it so she could examine it.  I told her it was a medical
device and was attached to me.  She happened to glance up at the monitor for
the X-ray machine as my carry-on was going through, and spotted the other
medical supplies in there.  She called her supervisor over, who took one look
at the pump and the plastic tubing, one look at my bag, and said "You're Ok,
have a good flight"

That's once out of probably 40-50 flights since getting the pump ~6 years ago.

I'll take this time to point out some other suggestions for travelling
diabetics.  Most of you probably know all these and more, but it never hurts to

ALWAYS put your supplies in a carry-on bag, NOT checked luggage.  Checked
luggage can get lost.

If you have more than one carry-on bag, split the supplies between them.  If
you're travelling with someone, give some of the supplies to put in THEIR carry-
on.  Redundancy is important for travelling diabetics.  Figure out what you'll
need for however long you're gone, then pack *at least* an extra half again of
that.  (It's amazing how lightly I've learned to pack even with all the
supplies I bring with me ;-) )

"Supplies" includes a source of sugar!

Carry a note from your doctor stating you're a diabetic, just in case you DO
run into a security guard who isn't sure what this stuff is (let's be honest, I
would rather face some inconvenience on my part rather than have a guard who
lets dangerous stuff on the flight -- better safe than sorry)

(This is true in general, but especially important for diabetics who have
supplies in their carry-on!)  NEVER put your bags down on the conveyer for the
X-ray machine until you *KNOW* you're the next person through the metal
detector.  Thieves in aiports have a common trick -- one person will go through
the metal detector and wait on the other side.   Behind them will be another
person intentionally carrying all sorts of common metal -- keys, change, etc.,
and "forget" about them.  The target victim behind them puts their bag on the
conveyer, but then can't go through the metal detector because of the person in
front of them.  By the time the victim can get through the metal detector, the
accomplice on the other side has snatched their bag and gotten away.  The most
common targets are laptops, but ANY carry-on can walk that way...

Mileage may vary, but when travelling between timezones, I simply adjust the
clock on my pump to the zone I'm headed to, halfway through the flight.  I
haven't flown overseas yet, though -- I'd probably do that in steps...

Anyone else have anything to add?

Sent from the  Secure Web-Mail System of JTAN.COM
http://www.jtan.com - Privacy, security, ProShell