[IP] How I used my H-Tron in H20 after my boat sunk last night.

Using H-Tron in water is a necessity for me:

Last night I took my (new to me) 1996 SPx SeaDoo out on a lake for a
pre-sunset one hour run.  I am an experienced boater and know this craft
inside and out.  In fact just finished restoring it to mint condition.

For a one hour run I could disconnect but one never knows what weird things
may happen so I never disconnect for this activity and for the first time
in five years of watersports, ran into trouble.  If I had disconnected or
been on MDI with N or U it would have made an inconvenient situation life
threatening.  I love the pump!

Just prior to sunset the impeller shaft ceased and backed out of the hull.
I paddled and tried the radio to no avail until underwater.  These things
do not sink but they sink so far so that only the bow is above water.
Dumped the paddle as I went under, not unlike watching the last minutes of
the Titanic which BTW is what I will name this new craft once I get it out
of the water and fixed, lowered the wetsuit and put the pump in "stop" in
anticipation of the 2 mile swim.  In order to minimize the time swimming in
the dark and being in the 60F water, I went with the wind and swam, pushing
my 9/10 sunk beloved to shore.  Unfortunately this meant reaching the only
shore which was isolated.

After swimming whit the boat for 1.5 hours in pump "stop" I reached the
shore in the dark and tied up my beloved to a rock.  Grabbed my flashlight
and emergency kit, put the pump to a basal rate of .4 for the dark hike,
ate a granola bar for good measure and hiked for an hour thru rugged
terrain, thick brush and swamp to the highway.  Upon reaching the highway
found a house and scared the occupants as a wet-suit, red PFD wearing
creature appeared at their door at 11:00pm.

Upon reaching home I tested and was 130!  Wow!  I love the pump!  On MDI,
at this time of day, I doubt I would have had enough food to get out.
Without being connected to the pump I would have felt terrible from early
DKA by that time and would have fought all night to restore the bgs.  It
felt so good to be in the water in dark and know that I had control over
whether or not I would keep getting too much insulin!

They call me a freak for all the safety equipment I carry but it paid off
as did my decision to continue using the H-Tron in water.

A note about hiking in the dark:  The tree limbs and jagged rocks leave big
welts and cuts!  Ouch!

This is FYI.  These things happen.  Carry a compass & flashlight.  For
those who know me, please don't bother saying you are glad "I'm OK".  ;-/
It's all a part of the sport. Rare but it does happen once in 100,000
times!  I just can't get over the difference the pump made in this

Darrin Parker - Nova Scotia, Canada!
Type I since 1974.  Disetronic H-Tronplus pump since Dec 2000.  Please
donate to the Insulin Pumpers Organization:

To date:  The Insulin Infusion Pump as improved my average blood glucose by
50% and lowered the A1C from 9.2 to 5.1 after 27 years of very poor control
on MDI.