[IP] Re:Numbing Creams

In a message dated 6/11/01 8:50:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

<< Also, I found something called Ethyl Chloride - it is a spray that
 immediately freezes the area. I can't call the 1-800 number, it does not
 work from Canada. Does anyone know anything about this? It says on the
 website that only Doctors can order it.
    There was a discussion about all the numbing creams  and sprays here a
few months ago.  Spot (I think) provided some good info about them, and I
just wanted to say that based on what he said I would not want to use any of
those other products on my child.  However, I could have the wrong impression.
    One newer cream, similar to Emla, is Ametop gel, manufactured by Smith
and Nephew.   I got Shopper's Drug Mart to order it for me, about Cdn$60 for
a box of 12 one use tubes and 12 OpSite dressings.  It works faster than Emla
and is preferred when blood is taken from a vein.  But it may not be worth
the extra money to save 30 -45 minutes for a site change!!  It is in standard
use in the UK for children whenever they have blood drawn, and is used at
Sick Kids Hospital in Toronto, but only when a doctor orders it to be used
(due to the cost).  Your Endo will likely know about it if you have any

Barbara, Mum of Claire 7