Re: [IP] numbing creams

In a message dated 6/11/2001 6:31:36 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> Also, I found something called Ethyl Chloride - it is a spray that
>  immediately freezes the area. I can't call the 1-800 number, it does not
>  work from Canada. Does anyone know anything about this? It says on the
>  website that only Doctors can order it.

Our pediatrician used it on my son's finger when he needed to lance an abcess
. . . I commented on it being an idea to use instead of EMLA for pump sets
(which my daughter decided she didn't need anymore after the first coupld of
set changes anyway) -- he said it's effect doesn't last very long (so you'd
ahve to be really ready to insert the site when you numbed it).  It was also
pretty slippery stuff, and I'd worry about it interfering with site adhesive
. . .  It's also very cold and kinda noisy (like a mini selzer bottle
spraying) -- so it might be startling to little kids . . .