RE: [IP] Need help re: feel after long bike rides

Hi Kathy,

I have been on the pump for a little over a month now and am just
getting the hang of working out on the pump.  I usually run in the
mornings, before eating breakfast.  This past week I was finally getting
back on my running routine and lowered my basal just as you did (50%,
about an hour before and after running).  Checking my bg a few hours
later, it was over 300!

So after this, I have found I do not need to lower my basal at all, and
in fact need to increase my carb ratio a bit for breakfast.  If you have
the book "Pumping Insulin" the chapter on exercise is really great on
explaining how insulin/glucose/carbs/glucagon all react during exercise
and why sometimes you need more and less insulin.

I think that by reducing the basal during exercise in the AM (at least
in my case) my body ends up with not enough insulin for the few hours
after exercising.  I have found this is not true if I say, go on a bike
ride in the afternoon, as I have been bolusing all day and there is
plenty of insulin in my system, so I DO need to reduce the rate then.

But, this knowledge may all change next week as I continue to figure
this thing out. :-)

-sara-