[IP] Waterproof case question from digest 198

For Shelly Van Dyke re the waterproof case.
I just used the waterproof case for the first time yesterday.  What a fiasco,
but in the end, a good fix for a little girl who is in and out of the pool
all day.  My daughter is 5, and I knew from 1 trip to the beach that I
couldn't leave her unhooked all day, nor did I want to hook up and rehook
multiple times, as the site would be compromised.  Anyway, we ordered the
sport guard, and got her set up.  I cried...it is so bulky and noticeable.
I told her it was the plastic cover, or NO POOL, right from the start.  She
agreed.  I deftly (NOT), and nimbly (NOT) put the pump into the sport case,
and the STATIC alarm went off.  All the basal rates were wiped out.  Called
MM, they walked me through it, we reset the basals, put it into the case, and
the static alarm went off again! (alarm E13- of course, you can't reference
this in MM's manual, since it isn't in there!).  Then, I had to bolus my
daughter, and the remote bolus wouldn't work.  I tried to take the pump out
of the sport guard, and couldn't get the rubber top off.  Thought I would
break it.  HINT...use LOTS of vaseline on the rubber top when putting it on,
that also improves the seal.  Finally, got PO'd that the remote bolus
wouldn't work with the sport guard all day.  So I had to take the pump out
while we were at the pool, and press the buttons just to give a bolus.
Called MM at home that night, and it turns out that the STATIC also wipes out
your remote capablility, and that had to be reprogrammed.  The remote DOES
work through the case.
The Good News: my daughter had a blast her first day at the pool, and the
case worked great.  A few people stared, but they will eventually learn.  Her
BGs were good, and I was the only one stressed out for the day.
I recommend it, if your kid complies.  Just set it up BEFORE running off to
the pool.
allison, mom of Amanda, 5, dxd 12/98, pumping 2/01 MM508