RE: [IP] Pumping @ Amusement parks

As a card-carrying member of ACE (the American Coaster Enthusiasts), I seem
to have a bit of experience with pumping at amusement parks.  :-)  I leave
on Thursday for a 12-day-14-park marathon tour, actually.

I'm using a DTron now, but I was on the HTron for 6 years before that.  I
always wear my pump in a Clip-N-Go, which holds it very securely.  I make
sure I put all the extra tubing coiled up in the case, as well.  I usually
have a huge fanny pack with me that contains my testing supplies, candy, and
usually camera, but sometimes if I'm wearing cargo shorts I forego the fanny

When on rides with a lot movement (laterals or airtime), I clip the
Clip-N-Go to a beltloop near a pocket on my shorts/jeans, and put the pump &
case inside the pocket.  That way the pump doesn't bounce around, AND won't
slip out of the pocket.

I personally HAVE to reduce my basals at amusement parks, especially the
larger parks like Cedar Point.  I usually set the pump for 50% basal rate
while I'm at the park, and sometimes that's not enough.  But hey, part of
the fun is eating the junk food (especially funnel cakes and elephant
ears -- yum) anyway.  I find that even when waiting in lines (which I make
an effort to avoid), all the walking involved at a park, combined with the
excitement of riding, makes my blood sugar drop.

ALWAYS make sure to have some form of sugar with you, and make sure it's far
more than you'd ever think you'd need.  A few years I was in line for Magnum
XL200 at Cedar Point, when a girl a few places in front of me in line
started having problems.  Her boyfriend announced that she was a diabetic
and had used up her glucose tablets earlier in the day, and was going low
again, could anyone PLEASE give them something with sugar in it.  Turns out
there were 4 other diabetics in line near her, all of us offered her some of
our supplies.  I felt really bad for the poor girl, but it shows that you
really DO need to be prepared.

The other issue I've run into is with my thigh sites.  I rotate hip, thigh,
and stomach infusion sites. Sometimes lapbar-style restrants (which are
normally the best in terms of rider comfort, MUCH better than the
over-the-shoulder abominations most rides have nowadays) will hit one of my
thigh sites.  I try to plan ahead for those, and I've never actually had a
problem with a site coming loose, only with one hurting a tad during the

So for anyone going to a park, just secure your pump, pack your meter & some
emergency candy, be careful, and HAVE FUN!

--Greg                              http://www.pobox.com/~gregleg/
http://www.coastershrine.com/              http://www.gregleg.com/
"Ahhhh credit cards, the enthusiasts summer friend, winter enemy."
  -- posted on rec.roller-coaster