Re: [IP] DKA question

In a message dated 6/8/2001 11:09:38 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
email @ redacted writes:

> << DKA can come on quicker  >>
>  Are there signs to alert you of this or do you need to really know what
>  doing to catch it quick before it is to far gone?

That is why it's best to check your blood glucose levels frequently when
you're pumping . . . Our "minimum" is 7-8: efore each meal, 1.5-2 hours after
each meal, before bedtime, and once during the night (most nights), plus
checks before & after heavy exercise if applicable . . . (of course, since
we're testing basals etc., we're actually doing more like 10-12 a day at the

A side benefit to all those checks when you're pumping (besides helping you
to avoid DKA) is that you can correct any highs from other reasons (like a
goof up on carb counting, or a blip in your hormone levels) before they get
too high or too stubborn (AND you can "fix" them at the touch of the button
instead of with a shot -- YAY!) and you don't have to worry about any
long-acting insulin coming along unexpectedly to make you go crashing down.
After only one week of pumping, my daughter say she just feels so much better
overall (thanks to BGs that are so much more stable).

In anticipation of the extra checks with pumping (we did 4-6 a day when on
shots), we started using a meter that gives fast results (5 seconds vs. 45 on
the old meter), uses a small blood sample (so you can dial back the setting
on the lancing device and not poke your fingers so deeply), and allows you to
sample alternate sites that don't have as many nerve endings as your fingers
(like forearms) and let you rest your fingers when you need to.

So, where before we were using an AccuCheck Advantage and a Softclix lancet
set at 3, we now use a One Touch Ultra and alternate between using the
Softclix set at 1.5 and the Bayer Vacculance (for arms).