Re: [IP] Another Denial.....Grrrr (kinda long)

Janet Ellis <email @ redacted> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I believe that insurance companies like to conveniently
> forget that Hgb A1C's are averages.

It isn't that it's convenient.  HbA1c is the established monitor of control.
Both the DCCT and the UKPDS use this lab test as the factor associated with
complication (or lack of complications in cases of good control).  There has
been no research that I know of that relates big swings to DM complications.
The other part of the argument to Steve is that he had not passed out due to a
severe hypo.  That's the other part.

In this light, the insurance company has research on its side.

BUT . . . this does not take two very important things into account: the
emotional well being of the patient, which can have a big effect on the
progress of disease (as we all know), and the *potential* for saving money by
getting even better control.

Jim Handsfield
mailto:email @ redacted

The opinions expressed are mine and do not necessarily reflect those of my
wife who runs this house and makes more important decisions than I do.