[IP] Re: insulin-pumpers-digest V5 #204

In a message dated 6/9/01 1:01:51 AM, email @ redacted writes:

>Can you give us any insight to
>how you had to deal with the professionals to 1) wear your pump, 2)
>refrain from putting insulin or glucose in the IV. Did you have any
>contact with the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery?

Apparently my Endo has done an excellent job in enlightening the staff at
Bryn Mawr Hospital in Bryn Mawr PA. She is on the staff there and her office
is in the connected building. On the day of my pre-op tests, I met with one
anest, who was fine with the idea of me wearing the pump. I had him put a
note in the file to call Dr. Koch (my endo) if there were any problems.

The nurse practitioner wrote down the basals.
On the day of surgery (yesterday), the anest. that would be with me came in
and was perfectly relaxed about the pump. I requested that there be no
insulin or glucose in the IV, just to be sure. All went well and my bg was
117 when I came out of surgery.

I think the key here is to have the support of your endo. I was impressed
that the staff was so enlightened. Prior to surgery, I was nervous because of
the reports I had heard of other hospitals from the List. Because of those
other reports, I was prepared.