Re: [IP] Trigger Thumb Surgery

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:57:33 EDT, email @ redacted wrote:
>I had my right thumb operated on for a trigger "thumb" this morning. The
>hospital was great. I wore my pump. They didn't put insulin or glucose in the
>IV. It doesn't hurt too much---I am typing this! They sent me to la-la land
>for what was about a 15 minute procedure (the surgeon didn't want me to
>wiggle) LOL.

Glad to hear that everything went well. Can you give us any insight to
how you had to deal with the professionals to 1) wear your pump, 2)
refrain from putting insulin or glucose in the IV. Did you have any
contact with the anesthesiologist prior to the surgery?

My interest in pursuing these questions is that it has become apparent
to me from reading IP messages over several months that each pumper's
encounter with surgery seems to vary according to local practices,
some of which are up to date, and others of which are not so up to
date. There also seems to be a steady stream of pumpers who are trying
to prepare for various kinds of surgery, and at this point it seems
like detailed experiences can be very helpful to those who are
preparing for surgery. (I wore my pump through successful hernia
surgery in July 2000.)

Tom Beatson
dx 1942, pumping since 1995