[IP] re: swimming + re-connecting prime

Sorry, I didn't phrase that well - we don't reprime
the cannula but we do usually do a 0.5u prime before
connection and 0.1u prime after re-connecting to make
sure that the air bubble that seems to form at the
QuickSet inlet gets cleared out.  What looks like is
happening is that the QuickSet's 1-way valve in the
connector/tubing piece doesn't quite seal off.  We
usually see a small bubble at the inlet, about 1/4inch
long.  At day-camp, he doesn't prime after connection,
but he does have a snack right away and therefore
boluses.  For Luke the 0.1u prime is also his basal
rate during the day, so it usually just makes up for a
missed basal while swimming.  He still needs this low
rate every hour or his blood sugar freaks out - it's
the nighttime lows that we have to watch out for after
a good swim.
Hope that helps.

> ... This would be easier than the
> counselors having to disconnect, put his pump in a
> safe place, prime, reconnect, & prime the cannula.

I understand the first 4 parts of this (disconnect,
put his pump in a safe place, prime, reconnect) but I
am not sure about the "prime the cannula" part. Are
you priming a second time after reconnecting to the
cannula? What size prime? Does it work well? What do
you think is going on to make this step necessary?
Thanks  for the help.

Do You Yahoo!?